- In addition to tablets and drops, some drugs are available in form of injections.
- Injections are administered once a few weeks or once a few months, usually into the gluteal or deltoid muscles.
- The injection ampoule contains a drug dose, which is being released into blood within a few weeks.
- If necessary, the injections can be combined with tablets, e.g. sleeping pills.
Jarema M.(red.) Standardy leczenia farmakologicznego niektórych zaburzeń psychicznych, ViaMedica 2015
Advantages of long-acting drugs
- CONFIDENCE that the drug is administered, for patients and their close ones.
- CONVENIENCE of use, as the injection is made once a few weeks or months and there is no need to remember about taking tablets.
- STABLE DRUG LEVEL in blood, which improves treatment tolerance.
- LESS FREQUENT STAYS IN HOSPITAL, because the disease recurs less often.
Subotnik KL et al. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015